Temporary Visa

Over 22 million people travelled to Canada in 2019 (pre-COVID pandemic), according to Statistics Canada.

People from all over the world visit Canada for many reasons, such as:

  • Sightseeing / tourism
  • Meet family or friends
  • Study
  • Work
  • Attend business conferences / meetings
  • Make business or personal investments (such as buying real estate / properties)
  • Open a branch office
  • Start a new company, etc.

Unless they are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents, foreign nationals coming to Canada for the purpose of visiting, studying, or working may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

The World Famous Niagara Falls

Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) Categories

Visitor visa allows you to enter Canada as a visitor or tourist. Usually, you can stay in Canada for up to 6 months as a visitor.

Super Visa allows you to visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It is a multiple entry visa valid for up to 10 years.

A Work Permit allows a foreign national with an offer of employment from a Canadian company to work in Canada on a temporary basis.

Study Permit is a document issued by the Government of Canada to foreign nationals to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. 

Note: There are pathways from Work Permit and Study Permit to Permanent Resident. 

Contact us for details!

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry permitted for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to the traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to 5 years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to 6 months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

An eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a US Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)


Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

Travellers who need an eTA: 

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. These travellers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat / cruise ship.
  • Lawful permanent residents of the United States need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. They must present valid Green Card and passport at check-in.

Travellers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA: 

  • Citizens from certain visa-required countries (e.g., Romania, Bulgaria and Brazil) may be eligible to apply for an eTA, instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air. Note that these travellers will need a visitor visa if they are arriving by car, bus, train, or boat / cruise ship.

Travellers exempt from eTA requirement:  

  • American citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement, however they must carry proper identification, such as a valid American passport.