PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAM
Start Imagining Life in Canada
Canadian provinces / Territories that offer a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
What is the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)?
This program is intended for people who:
- Have the appropriate work experience, skills and education to contribute to the economy of a particular province or territory.
- Intend to live in that province.
- Plan to become permanent residents of Canada.
Each Canadian province or territory has specific immigration streams (programs) and requirements. Some of these streams target businesspeople or skilled / semi-skilled workers while other streams are aimed at students. Depending on the program, an applicant may apply directly to the province or via Express Entry.
In the direct application process, you:
- Apply directly to the province or territory for nomination under a non-express entry stream.
- Need to meet the eligibility requirements of the province that is offering the nomination.
- Upon receiving the submit an application for permanent residence to IRCC.
- Must pass the mandatory medical exam and police checks.
Note that the processing times typically are longer than through Express Entry.
In the Express Entry process, there are 2 methods to apply.
- You contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under an Express Entry stream.
- If the province or territory agrees for the nomination, you create an Express Entry profile (or update an existing profile) and indicate that you have been nominated.
- You create an Express Entry profile and select the provinces / territories you are interested in.
- If a province / territory issues a “Notification of interest”, you can contact them directly.
- You apply to the province / territory’s Express Entry stream and if the application is accepted, the province / territory will issue a nomination to your account electronically.
In both the Express Entry methods above, you:
- Must meet the eligibility requirements of the province or territory.
- Must submit an Express Entry profile and show that you meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry, including one of its immigration programs (Federal Skilled Worker program, Federal Skilled Trades program or Canadian Experience Class).
- If invited to apply (receive an ITA), submit an electronic application for permanent residence to IRCC.